Every year, carmakers bring their latest and greatest vehicles to the Washington, DC Auto Show. 2023 is shaping up to be a big year for family adventure cars. We’re already seeing some great new electric vehicles, but the real game-changer will be the Washington, DC Auto Show 2023.
In this article, we’ll give you everything you need to know about the Washington, DC Auto Show 2023, including a list of our favorite vehicles that will be on display. Whether you’re looking for a hybrid SUV with plenty of space for the whole family or an electric pickup truck that can haul all your gear, there’s sure to be a family adventure car at the Washington, DC Auto Show that catches your eye.
Electric Vehicles are Taking Over!
This is the first auto show that will be dedicated exclusively to electric vehicles. It’s sure to be a popular event for car buyers and environmentalists alike. The show is not just going to be limited to cars ⏤ there will be electric motorcycles, scooters, and even bicycles on display. So if you’re thinking about making the switch to an electric vehicle, this is the perfect place to start your research.
Electric vehicles are slowly but surely taking over the auto industry, and the Washington, DC Auto Show 2023 is proof of that. There are a number of reasons why electric vehicles are becoming more popular, and one of the biggest is the range. Electric vehicles can now travel for hundreds of miles on a single charge, which is perfect for long journeys. Another reason electric vehicles are becoming more popular is the cost of ownership. Electric vehicles are cheaper to run than gas or diesel cars, and they also qualify for government incentives.
Other Highlights of the Show
The mid-atlantic reveal by Toyota for their 2023 Prius model is definitely a show highlight. The 2023 Prius has an EPA-estimated 57 miles per gallon combined fuel economy rating. This plug-in hybrid model offers customers the flexibility of getting around town on zero-emission battery power or hybrid mode. The new Prius is built on the second-generation TNGA-C platform. Therefore, it has a wider stance and lower driving position that feels nimble yet comfortable.
The reason we couldn’t wait to see the new 2023 Prius in person was the star-powered tech: a solar roof. This on-board charging feature uses roof-mounted solar panels to recharge the Prius Prime’s battery when parked. We have been waiting for this tech!
A car roof seems like such wasted space and the van life community has been harnessing this power for years. On this new Prius, the panels deliver supplemental power to accessory functions, like air conditioning, when driving. A clever design conceals the electrodes for a seamless, glossy appearance. It is a stunning car.
In addition to the electric vehicles, one of the most exciting displays will be the new autonomous vehicles. These are cars that can drive themselves and they’re being developed by all the major auto companies.
Adventure Autos Perfect for Families
When it’s time to hit the road for another adventure we prioritize performance, efficiency, seating and hauling. EV or hybrid is a must for us. We just can’t justify buying a brand new gas only vehicle in 2023.
Maximizing Adventure with EV/Hybrids
We love to camp, climb, bike, SUP and explore off roading. We need room for gear, powerful hauling and 4×4 capabilities.
2023 Subaru Solterra EV
You had us at all-wheel drive, all electric SUV. We love that the Subaru EV technology was created in partnership with Toyota. This powerful all-wheel drive SUV operates a little differently than other all-wheel drive vehicles with the ability to send send power to all four wheels at the same time. Other all-wheel drive vehicles are made to send power to the front wheels first and then the back. This Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is integral to the Subaru brand offering better control and performance.
- MSRP: $44,995
- MPGe up to 94/114 (Hwy/City)
- StarDrive all-electric drivetrain with 72.8 kWh battery capacity
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and X-MODE with Downhill Assist Control
- 8.3 inches of ground clearance
2023 Toyota Tundra TRD PrO
It must not come as a shock that we are loving the new hybrid Tundra! This truck combines power and efficiency, and looks amazing doing it. It offers the same great space for passengers in the Crew Max with some upgrades to the interior design and technology. If you find something you don’t love about this truck let us know ⏤ we are still looking.
- MSRP: $69,420
- MPG 18/20/19 (Hwy/City/Combined)
- i-FORCE MAX 3.4L Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid, 437 hp @ 5200 rpm, 583 lb.-ft. @ 2400 rpm
- 288V sealed Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery with 1.87 kWh capacity
- Eco, Normal, Sport and Tow/Haul Driving Modes
- 10-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i), sequential shift mode, and uphill/downhill shift logic
- 4WDemand part-time 4-Wheel Drive with electronically controlled 2-speed transfer case (high/low range) and Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)
- Electronically controlled locking rear differential
2023 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4xe
Jeep Wrangler lovers can now enjoy the fun of driving a Jeep ⏤ electrified. While the Jeep doesn’t maximize room for gear, it is easy to hook up a trailer and haul what you need. We were excited to learn that Jeep is installing solar-powered charging stations on key trails in the U.S. so you can get charged up before taking on the trails.
- MSRP: $54,735
- MPGe 49
- Hybrid, Electric and ESave modes
- 270 horsepower and 375 Hybrid system net power output (hp)
- 4 wheel drive
- Electronic stability control with anti-roll
With EV front and center, many of the cars on display are not yet in production. We couldn’t go without mentioning the stand out upcoming electric truck by Chevy.
Chevy Silverado EV
This truck is going to be agile and fast. What really captured our attention was the Multi-Flex Midgate with pass-through. This allows you to substitute your passenger space for more cargo room in the bed. There is also cargo space under the hood. So much cargo space!
- Estimated 400 mile range
- Home charging options to include: Level 1 120 volt and Level 2 240 volt (professional installation required) options.
- DC Public Charging with a GM estimated 100 miles of range in only 10 minutes
- Up to 754 horsepower and up to 785 lb-ft torque
- Built on the Ultium Platform using GM Ultifi software platform
- E-4WD system capable of delivering nearly instantaneous torque to all four wheels simultaneously
- Available Four-Wheel Steer
- Available Four-Corner Air Ride Adaptive Suspension
Maximizing passengers with a 3rd Row of seating
When it comes to adventures it is the more the merrier. We love a 3rd row because not only can we bring friends and family along on our adventures, but it is great for carpooling.
2023 Toyota Sequoia Hybrid
The 2023 Toyota Sequoia is a full-size three-row SUV. We love the combo of passengers, gear and performance in a hybrid SUV. What it lacks in performance it makes up for with passenger space. The Sequoia shares many components with the 2022 Tundra pickup. It comes standard with the iForce MAX hybrid powertrain. It has an electric motor between the twin-turbo V-6 and 10-speed automatic transmission. This combination provides impressive horsepower and torque. The Sequoia does only have rear-wheel drive, so that is the largest drawback.
- MSRP: $58,365
- Mileage estimates (MPG city/highway/combined) 21/24/22
- 60/40 split, reclining, fold-down, fold-up, tumble-forward second-row seats with center armrest; adjustable headrests with one-touch access to third row
- i-FORCE MAX 3.445L Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid, 437 hp @ 5200 rpm, 583 lb.-ft. @ 2400 rpm
- Parallel hybrid system with permanent magnet synchronous motor/generator
- Rear-Wheel Drive (RWD) with Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)
- 8.6 inches of ground clearance
- Eco, Normal, Sport and Tow/Haul Driving Modes
2023 Toyota Sienna Hybrid XSE
We have been big Sienna fans for years. For a long time it was the only minivan with all-wheel drive. This is still a great family vehicle that allows you to switch from carpools and traffic to weekend adventures.
- MSRP: $44,455
- Mileage estimates (MPG city/highway/combined) 36/36/35
- 7-passenger seating with SofTex® * sport-trimmed second-row captain’s chairs with super-long-slide feature
- Hybrid—2.5-Liter with Double Overhead Cam (DOHC), 16-Valve, D-4S Injection and Dual VVT-i
- Normal, Eco, EV, * Sport Drive Modes
- All-wheel drive
2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE
The 2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid has great passenger space without giving up on performance. The all-wheel drive on this vehicle is perfect for more tame adventures. The efficiency and versatility are what put this one on the list for us. It is a little of everything, which can be just what an adventure family needs.
- MSRP: $41,820
- Mileage estimates (MPG city/highway/combined) 36/35/35
- Electronic On-Demand AWD system
- 8-passenger seating with 60/40 split, sliding and reclining fold-flat second-row bench seats; 60/40 split, fold-flat third-row seats with sliding headrests and recline function
- Hybrid powertrain—2.5-liter L4HV Double Overhead Cam (DOHC) 16-valve D-4S injection engine with Dual VVT-iE; 243 combined net hp, includes combustion engine with 186 hp @ 6000 rpm; 175 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm
- Drive Mode Select (DMS) with Sport, Eco, Normal, EV and Trail Mode
More Family Car Recommendations
We teamed up with Jen from Kid Up and Go to put together our favorite family vehicles of the Washington, DC Auto Show 2023. Jen has teen drivers on the horizon. So naturally, she has teen features and 3rd row seating at the top of her list.
Head on over to Kid Up and Go to read more about her favorite teen features and 3rd row picks.
Why these cars are perfect for families
Whether you’re looking to save on gas with a hybrid SUV or you need the extra power and towing capacity of a pickup truck, these family adventure cars have what you need. With plenty of space for passengers and cargo, they’re perfect for weekend getaways and family vacations.
And with the latest in safety and technology features, you can rest assured that your family will be safe and comfortable on even the longest road trip.
Why the Washington, DC Auto Show is the perfect place to find your new family car
The Washington, DC Auto Show is the perfect place to find your new family car because it’s one of the top auto shows in the country. With more than 700 vehicles on display, you’re sure to find the perfect car, SUV, or truck for your family. There are test drives available on many of the vehicles, so you can get behind the wheel and see how they handle on the open road.
When you walk in to the upper level hall, there is no denying the Toyota presence. Toyota definitely has the most floor space as a leader in electrification. Toyota offers the new 2023 models on display as well as some very cool concept vehicles.
We are a Toyota family and have been since 2007. Therefore, we haven’t owned anything other than a Toyota for over 15 years. Toyota does not sponsored us in any way (although we wouldn’t say no if they wanted to!). It’s the Toyota style, performance and quality that created our brand loyalty. Our 2007 Toyota Tundra is still our favorite adventuremobile.
Similarly, Chevy and Ford are also big presence at the Washington, DC Auto Show. Subaru, Kia, Stellantis and Nissan are upstairs with some great vehicles on display. If you are interested in a Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep or Ram don’t forget that they now fall under the Stellantis brand.
Downstairs Hyundai has a large area along with Honda, Lexus, Acura, Volvo and Polestar. In addition, you will find the electric motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles downstairs. Don’t miss the Get Outdoors Pavilion and The EV Pavilion. The Get Outdoors Pavilion offers adventure families a chance to check out kayaks, motorcycles, three-wheelers and the Toyota Tundra test track ⏤ it’s the perfect place to see why we love our truck! The EV Pavilion is where you can try out the electric bicycles and FUVs (fun utility vehicle).
How to make the most of your time at the show
If you’re planning on attending the Washington, DC Auto Show, be sure to give yourself plenty of time to explore. There are more than 700 vehicles on display and it is a lot to see.
Plan ahead if you want to test drive one of the many vehicles. You can find the Pepco EVsmart in the L Street Lobby to register for an EV test drive. Don’t miss the Toyota exclusive Outdoor Ride & Drive where guests can enjoy a drive around the streets of downtown D.C with a Toyota professional.
To make the most of your time at the show, be sure to check out the Show Guide and map out which vehicles you want to see and test drive. And be sure to swing by the Family Adventure Test Drive Course, where you can test drive family adventure cars from all the major automakers.
The Washington, DC Auto Show is fun for kids too! Aside from checking out all the features of the cars and sitting in every seat, kids love the demonstrations and hands-on activities. Don’t miss the Art of Motion exhibition, Subaru Loves Pets, EV Pavilion and Get Out Doors Pavilion with your kids.
When is the Washington, DC Auto Show?
Show dates and times:
• Friday, January 20, 12:00 – 9:00 pm
• Saturday, January 21, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
• Sunday, January 22, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
• Monday, January 23 through
Thursday, January 26, 12:00 noon – 8:00 pm
• Friday, January 27, 12:00 – 9:00 pm
• Saturday, January 28, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
• Sunday, January 29, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Tickets can be purchased on the Auto Show’s website:
Enjoy the Washington, DC Auto Show
The Washington, DC Auto Show 2023 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting events of the year. If you’re thinking about making the switch to an electric vehicle, this is the perfect place to start your research. You have what you need to know about the Washington, DC Auto Show 2023, including a list of our favorite vehicles that will be on display.
Leave a Reply